Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cloth Diapering

My friend, Robin, started using cloth diapers and blogging about it. She convinced me that it wasn't that hard. Chris and I discussed it and he was on board quickly (he's all for anything saving money!). We started our cloth diapering adventures on Halloween night. Since I've had sooo many people tell us we are crazy, I guess now it's my turn to blog about how it's going so far.

First of all, how stinkin' cute are these?! They are still pretty bulky, but it's not too noticeable with clothes on and I know she will grow into them quickly. Best part is that we chose one size diapers that snap to different sizes so we shouldn't have to buy any more diapers (other than getting new fun colors and stuff). :)




Here's what we use. We chose Flip diapers (from the same makers as Bum Genius). We have 2 Bum Genius diapers since I heard some people like them, too, but we haven't used them yet. With the Flip diapers you put an insert into the diaper cover (the cute part). For each change, you just slip out the insert, slip in a new one, and throw it in the wet bag. So easy! You can choose between velcro and snap diapers and we chose snaps. The insert has a really soft fabric on one side for against the skin and a terry material on the back. I'm amazed at how well it pulls the moisture away from her skin. We also have a flip top trash can (I got it yesterday and didn't take a picture yet) and a wet bag that goes in it for diapers. It doesn't smell bad at all. When I wash the diapers, I just throw the bag in with it.




Here's how I keep it organized. Since she's in the bassinet in our room, I keep this basket next to my bed. It's no harder than changing a disposable diaper in the middle of the night and actually smells less because they go in the bag instead of the trash can.





I was worried about washing them and other people have asked me, too. I even waited to blog until I had done the washing so I could add how it went. Again, super easy! We do laundry ALL the time at our house so it's not any different and washing stuff doesn't even phase us. Yes, you have to use "special" detergent, but there are lists online of tons of kinds you can use. I chose this one and I got it at Sprouts (it was about $16, I think) and you use 1/8th of a cup per load so it will last forever. I throw the bag, covers, and inserts all in and do a short, cold cycle with detergent. Then, a long, hot cycle with detergent. And I've gone ahead and done another quick rinse cycle (that's optional). I read that if there are still stains you just stick them outside in the sun. I was skeptical about this, but I put 3 of the inserts in the backyard today (and it's cloudy) and they were perfectly white when I got them.





I'm very excited that this is going so well. I have a pack of newborn diapers on hand in case I got overwhelmed, but haven't touched them since we started the cloth. If you are interested, feel free to ask any questions.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: